Sunday, January 20, 2008

Why I Enjoy Sports



I love to watch sports. I love the competitive spirit, the stories within the game, and ultimately the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." I didn't expect the AFC Championship game between the New England Patriots and the San Diego Chargers to be that great of a game. I watched that one half-heartedly expecting the Patriots to win which they did. I was hoping that the NFC Championship game between the Green Bay Packers and the New York Giants would be more competitive. It was.

The underlying story was that of the aged veteran Brett Favre vs. Peyton's little brother, Eli Manning playing on a frozen field in Green Bay. One career is fading and the other is on the precipice of greatness. I would have been happy with either team winning. If Green Bay had won, it would be a great way for Brett Favre to end his Hall of Fame career. If New York had won, it would have allowed Eli to step away from his brother's shadow and compete in a Super Bowl after a few disappointing seasons. Ultimately, the Giants won and the Super Bowl is set. The Patriots against the Giants in Phoenix.

I love watching a hard fought, back and forth game. The game went into overtime but the Giants could have won it earlier except for a couple of bad field goal attempts and several dropped passes. I hope the Super Bowl is not a let down. So often the league championships are more fun to watch. I hope Eli and the Giants can beat the Patriots.

I always shed a little tear after a game like this. I also cry at Hallmark commercials. I know a lot of people are jaded about professional athletes and all of the money they make, but I don't blame them for accepting the money the owners are willing to pay them. At the end of the day, they play for an opportunity to compete in the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals or whatever the pinnacle of their sport is.

When I see the joy on the faces of the athletes that get to go to the Super Bowl I immediately think of all the practices they went to as kids. I think of their parents and the time that was committed to tournaments, training, and getting better at their game. All of the hard work has now paid off for them as they get to compete in the ultimate championship. Many professional athletes will work just as hard and never get a chance to compete at that level.

When I see those who experienced the "agony of defeat" I think of all the times when as kids they lost, struck out, gave up a home run, threw an interception, or fumbled the football. I hope all them got a hug from their parents, learned from their experience, and made a commitment to compete again the next time. Learning to win with grace and lose with integrity is a lesson I know Austin has had to learn playing baseball. I know it is a lesson that will help him no matter what he ends up doing.

By the way I am rooting for the underdog. Go Giants!

Good Bye Sports Fans

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you write that? That was amazing. I didn't know my brother-in-law was so eloquent!