Thursday, January 24, 2008

Splat!

*Gross Content Warning: Read at your own risk.*

Travis has the virus du jour. Sniffling, sneezing and coughing--the poor guy has all the classic symptoms. But with him, the only thing classic about the symptoms are the names...he manages to turn each and everyone into a dramatic scene. When he sneezes he tries to hold it back. He's always been that way. His face scrunches up, turns red and his head shakes as if it were a volcano on the verge of erupting. Finally, the sneeze wins, but with a ferocious growling barking sound thats unbelievable--try to imagine an old man having a sneezing fit...on steroids.

Last night he started holding the sneezes back again so we had to give him sneezing lessons. (Who would of thought you'd ever have to teach a kid to sneeze?) By the end of the evening, he was Fifty/Fifty for successful sneezes. He then developed coughing/barking fits on and off last night along with a 102 degree fever. (Another Travis symptom: his coughs are always loud & croupy). This morning he woke up all puffy eyed and sad looking...the kid was miserable. I placed him on the couch, gave him a cup of juice and turned on his favorite cartoon.

He was miserable...at least until I heard this sound: "SPLAT!". I turned around to see that he had sneezed and all the snot he had been holding back for the last 24 hours had gone flying out his nose, down his stomach, onto the floor into a 2 inch gooey yellow pile. Gross. Within seconds of expelling the disgusting mass of slime, he was back to his old self running around the house thinking of new ways of destroy things. As for me, I pulled out the Clorox wipes and proceeded to gag as I cleaned up his detritus. His fever is gone along with the sneezing. He's still coughing occasionally...amazing really.

I think the kid should of been stamped with a warning when he was born: "Warning, this child is prone to explosions: Explosions of energy, voice, flatulence and snot. Proceed with caution". Maybe the label was there but I couldn't read it because I was distracted by his sweet mischevious smile and good hair.

Gotta love my kid...he's too cute. I just have to make sure the Purell is always close at hand.

Laurel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear... I think that if I had to choose between a pile of phlegmy, gooey, yellow snot or a dirty diaper, I'd take the dirty diaper any day. There's just something impossibly nasty about phlegmy, gooey, yellow snot. Kudos to you for not tossing your cookies and mixing puke with the phlegmy, gooey, yellow snot (wow, how many gross references can I make in a single comment?).