Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Design Revolutionary

Well...I did it. I did something so shocking I think my poor Mom might have a cow about it. (Mother-in-law too!...Sorry!)





I got rid of my kitchen table.





Why, you ask? Let's see...four growing kids, two adults living in approximately 1150 square feet can be beyond chaotic. It seems as though we're always tripping over something (or someone). The table itself was never used because of our crazy schedule. It had become a depository for books, the sock box (another blog someday) and whatever else found its way there during the day. Our two couches were scrunched together in the living room and all of us had bruises from banging our shins on the coffee table. So much furniture and so many people in a tiny area made it feel claustrophobic and look very cluttered. The cramped spaces were turning us into unhappy lot.


To those who question my sanity...here are the answers to your questions:


"Where will you eat?"--Where we've been eating all along at the coffee tables and wherever else we found ourselves. To be honest there wasn't enough room or chairs to go around the original table anyway!


"Where will the kids do their homework?"--In their rooms at their desk.


"What about special celebrations or company"?--We have fold-away tables for those lovely occasions. 9 times out of 10 we're at someone else's for those days...even for our own children's birthdays.


"What if you change your mind...won't you feel stupid that you threw away a perfectly good table?"--Have you seen my table? It was beyond help...when I bought it I was determined to not get one with a carved groove in it. I ordered a table without the groove. They delivered a grooved one anyway. At that time in my life I didn't want to hassle with exchanging it so I didn't bother. I wish I had. Let's just say that groove turned out to be the resting place for many food and dirt particles that never could be dislodged. Yuck. Enough said. I'll buy another table someday.


We have an incredible landlord who let's us rent this place for an unbelievably low price. (Props to Stanley Stauble!) Due to the low rent, I can stay home with the kids. The only drawback is the small space and some "essentials" have to go...the kitchen table was one of them. (I'd rather toss that than one of my kids!)





Laurel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Works for me. We only eat at our table once or twice a week and we don't have your space issues. It looks great in the picture.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! Great idea! I love it when you have a "lightbulb" moment, you go for it, and it actually works! YEA!!!

Kristi said...

good choice...i would keep the kid over a table too (Well, most of the time!)