Monday, April 14, 2008

Wah? Huh? Where did Everyone go?

I started crashing on the couch around 7:30 tonight. I vaguely remember Aaron and Travis running in and out of the room. Somehow I managed to direct them in my sleep haze to take their showers and put them in bed around 8:30. Next thing I know I woke up a little before 10 and the whole house was dead quiet. All of the kids were in bed. I checked their rooms to make sure they all hadn't ditched me for a party somewhere, but sure enough--they were asleep.

I have no idea when the older two went to bed. Obviously sometime before 10. I know in my day I would've been whooping it up by watching tv or reading books if I'd had the chance. I used to drive my parents nuts by never wanting to go to bed. In fact, they would send me to bed and I would lurk on the stairs waiting to see what happened after my bed time. I had this strange fantasy that they would breaking out the smokes and start cussing up a storm once I was out of earshot. Alas, that fantasy never came true. But I did spend an inordinate amount of time waiting on the stairs. My poor parents were stalked by their own child!

Anyway, you know you've reached a new stage in life when your children put themselves in bed without you saying a word or even being conscious. Now if I could only train them to do the dishes before they head off to La La land.

Beggars can't be choosers!

-Laurel

2 comments:

Billy and Laurel said...

I think we have done a great job as parents. Not only did they put themselves to bed, they knew better than to wake you up and tell you the were going to bed.

Billy and Laurel said...

...tell you they were going to bed.

(I had to fix my typo.)