Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green...

I'm a frugal person who likes to save money as much as I like to spend it. (Is that combination possible?) Maybe I'm just saying that I like to spend money, but not massive loads of it at a time! As a part of my "cheap" nature, I've always done my own hair coloring. The color always turned out okay, with a few mishaps here and there, but none ever like today.

Today, my hair turned green.

I dyed it a few days ago, trying to go back to my medium brown hair color...I was tired of my highlights and blah color. Never once did I guess that by doing so, all of my blonde highlights would pick up the "Ash" color of the Medium Brown Ash and turn a mossy shade of green after a few days. After dying it on Saturday, I felt good to be brown again. When I blew dry my hair this morning I didn't feel so good. As my hair blew around from the air of the hair dryer I noticed that it had a sick tint of green to it. Alerted I called Billy's attention to it: his observance? "There's nothing wrong with it...it's just lighter." Knowing full well the abillities of the male species to not really notice the obvious, I believed him anyway.

We hopped in the car to go to work and I pulled down the visor. My hair was even greener in the natural light. I called Billy's attention to it again. "Look...It's green!"

His reply? "Well, it's not as green as it is gray."

Gray! My hair was gray? I stared at the mirror and sure enough the previously highlighted portions of hair were a a brownish, gray, green color. Ewwww....not very flattering. I sat there and mulled over my options. Shave it off? Nope. Go in and have some one fix it? Nope...too embarrassing! We arrived at work where I talked to my wise friend Jolene. Jolene brought up the obvious: call the Loreal hotline and ask what to do.

I called the hotline and gave the operator my story. Her response was a worried sounding, "Oh Dear..." Thankfully, they had a solution for me that involved two more hair colors (Medium brown and Light Auburn to balance out the green.) I rushed off to Wal Mart and bought my two boxes of color, scurried home prepared to do my hair. I opened the boxes, snapped on a pair of gloves and was ready to go when I realized that one box didn't have the hair color in it. Someone had decided to help themselves to free hair color at my expense. Snort! (I was ticked at this point.) Back to Walmart I went.

Now I'm here in the afternoon, waiting for my hair to finish. I have approximately one minute left of process.

Hopefully, it all works out. If it doesn't, I'll just have to throw a hat on my head or start wearing a pink bob wig like Britney. If you see me in such a state...laugh politely and save your comments for later when I'm 60!

-Laurel

1 comment:

Kristi said...

HILArIOUS! Glad to know it turned out okay!