Saturday, November 8, 2008

Threading the Gauntlet


Don't get me wrong, I love helping out the VFW by buying a poppy, donating food to the Boy Scouts, helping out the Girl Scouts, as well as occasionaly donating money at the store for a good cause. Just don't pounce on me all at once. To enter Albertson's today I had to threat a gauntlet of all four charitable causes. Yikes!

Talk about oversaturation of a market! It caused me to wonder, who should I single out to help? I answered the ethical problem by walking away and not donating to any one of them. I know I'm not a scrooge, but I'm not made of gold either. I can only handle one cause at a time; therefore, I decided to buy a poppy from the VFW tomorrow. However, this decision doesn't assuage the guilt that I have from deserting them all.

Sigh. I guess you can't win them all.

--Laurel

6 comments:

Heidi said...

You may not be made of gold, but you have a heart of gold.

And if you're still torn over who to give to - just give to me.

You don't even have to go to Albersons to do it. I'll see you at church in a couple hours - you can just pay me there.

Zach said...

Yeah I'd be glad to take any charitable donations. If you gave to me, you'd know it was going to a worthy cause, like my flat screen fund. What cause is more noble? None that i know of!

leililan said...

you're a nerd.. you know.. i have a very good cheritable cause... it's called "keep leilani sane"... and you need not give money to it!! just prayer!!

love ya!

World of Wright said...

Maybe you should make a both of your own. Then you could collect from everyone else and forward the funds to all the charities you like. Of course you would have to take a cut for your overhead expenses ;)

Billy said...

Hey Zach,
It will go towards my flat screen account before it goes into yours!

Zach said...

C'mon bro. My wall sits empty in anticipation for my flat screen. I won't let my wife put anything in that spot so that I can my sweet plasma screen there next year hopefully. So whatever you can spare will be gladly accepeted.
Z