Friday, November 28, 2008

Tamila's 13!!!!!!

I HAVE TWO TEENAGERS IN MY HOUSE!

HELP!


Either that makes me old, or just teetering on the precipice of insanity. What used to be fights about toys and whose turn it is, are rapidly evolving into who gets the car and whose turn it is to fill the tank. Geepers. Life was much simpler when they were in diapers. They were easier then. A diaper, a bottle and a smile from mom was all they needed. We used to spend our mornings at Disneyland and our weekends with friends. Slowly, but surely the insidious beast of time grew to take those simple things away.

Gone is the free time. We haven't been to Disneyland in two years and couldn't find the time if you paid us.

Gone is the simplicity of their needs...they want to know things about quadratic equations and who the prime minister of India is.

Gone are the cheap days of diapers and formula. In are the days of big random school fees and the draining of my wallet every time they walk in the door.

Gone is the ability to just pick up and go. Now we have to balance everything between schedules and school projects.

I miss the easier days and I know that someday they'll return. Unfortunately, they'll return with a quiet house with just two older people in it looking at each other wondering what to do next. However, I don't think that dilemma will last long:

With abandon we'll hit the road, with our bag full of adult diapers and bottles of fortification, go to Disneyland and actually go on a ride together. We'll congratulate each other on surviving it all and be thankful that we did it together...I hope.

After all, that's 14 years away!


--Laurel

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm torn.

I'm happy for you because you have amazing kids and they keep getting cooler.

But I'm sad for you because your plans for the two of you involve dipaers.

But we'll love you no matter what. Yes, you can always Depends on us.

Happy Birthday Tamila - we love ya!

johnsonandjohnson said...

okay....well, that helped me appreciate the diapers and bottles, but I wish all Emily needed was a smile from mom!

I can't believe Tamila is already 13! Happy Birthday!

Rick said...

I wish I had some wise saying to lift the melancholy, but .don't. I'm fortunate to have my kids and grandkids close, and they for some reason still enjoy spending time with me. But I can remember the times when the busyness got in the way of the bonding. In my case, it all got better and keeps getting even better. My prayer is that the same will be true for you.

Rick said...

Well, I don't think I'll make as many comments as you did on Heidi's post, but I thought of something else. While we were in the choir room last weekend you and Tamila were in there working on something and I thought, "There's a young lady who still enjoys spending time with her Mom." Not all parents can say that about their 13-year old. I also noticed that Austin was not too cool to sit with his Mom at NOW. You guys are doing something right.

Don said...

Hey, the diapers won't be in the picture for at LEAST 17 years! :)

Rick's right...you and Billy are raising up an amazing foursome. You have done MANY somethings right!

Congrats to Tamila on this life achievement! Three more years and you'll have two BEHIND THE WHEEL!! Can't wait to read your blog then! (And there may be times when diapers will be temporarily necessary!)

Kristi said...

um, what is a quadratic equation? that made my head hurt just typing it.

happy bday tamela!

Zach said...

13, that makes me feel old. She was new when you guys started @ First, and I was a JHer. Dang.

World of Wright said...

Children should never ask about those equation thingys.
Try and convince your children that driving is for dorks.
I give quotes all the time for parents with teen drivers. I think we should move our office next to an ER so they can get immediate care once they have a the heart attack.

leililan said...

have i ever told you that i'm really grateful for the example you and billy have been???

that said... i'll try not to space my kids so far apart, that way they all get out of the house at the same time!!