Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Wasted Gifts


We all have our own specific gifts...or shall I say, "ailments": trick knees, bad backs, chronic sinusitis. It's almost as if when we were born God said, "Ah...give him a bad back--those seem to be really popular things to have. As for her, give her bad allergies--it'll keep her humble when snot goes flying out of her nose at inopportune times."

Well ladies and gentlemen...Travis has an specific "gift" that attacks him and only him.

It's the ailment of too long eyelashes.

Every other month or so, we'll hear a shrieking blood curdling scream from somewhere in the house and know instantly what has happened. Travis has poked himself in the eye again with his own eyelash. Grabbing him, we wrestle his hands away from his face and pull the lids apart to pull the offending lash from his eye. When this is accomplished, the whole world goes back to its usual humdrum order and life is peaceful again. (At least until next time.)

I see this ailment as an injustice though...how come the boys always get the long eyelashes? They'll never appreciate the great gift that long lashes are. Guys will never know the agony of finding the perfect mascara or waking up with raccoon eyes...or even worse, poking yourself in the eye with a mascara wand. Sheesh!

Oh well.

I'm sure God thinks it's funny. He does have a devious sense of humor you know.

--Laurel

11 comments:

Sarah B. said...

First of all I love that picture...and secondly you had me laughing out loud. I can picture him screaming....poor little guy doesn't know that his curse of the long lashes is also a blessing...they are beautiful.

Heidi said...

I love the picture too - so cute.

Poor Travis with his funny little gift. I've never looked at eyelashes as a gift before. But it makes sense!

And of course I identified with the snot flying everywhere...

johnsonandjohnson said...

Man....my right eye is a magnet for eyelashes! I don't have long lashes, but they hang out with my eyeball all the time!

Oh, and thank you for not putting the disgusting picture of the eyeball up with this post

Kris said...

And gorgeous hair. Why do guys always get the great locks? It just doesn't seem fair!!!!

OOOO-my word is rabled!

Zach said...

When my dad found out a few years ago he has glaucoma, he started taking medicine for it that would stop it. That medicine makes his eyelashes grow forever, it's hilarious. It makes my mom jealous.
Z

Bits from Bonnie said...

That is a great story! When Mandy was about 3 years old, she climbed up to the top of the medicine cabinet and grabbed her Dad's mustache trimmer and cut off her lashes because she was mad at me. Hers are long too! I didn't know till I went to read her bedtime story. I almost went through the roof! Isn't it funny how kids don't realize how beautiful their eyes are?

World of Wright said...

Jagger has great eyelashes too. He put on a wig in the store over Halloween and he made a gorgeous little girl...all because of the lashes!
Oh! For perfect mascara, I have to plug lash stylist by mabeline. The absolute best!

Kristi said...

wow - he is gifted with "length" isn't he? :)

leililan said...

i'm glad your son got my genes for lash legnth and not lack of hieght...

Billy said...

kt, yes he is,
yes he is.

Stacey said...

Guess eyelashes aren't the only "gift" Travis was given. Some day the boy will be traumatized to know we discussed his "gifts".