Monday, July 28, 2008

Too Close for Comfort

Within ear shot.
Austin had a baseball tournament in San Diego this past weekend. The last game on Sunday took place on an oddly shaped field with bleachers that were 4 feet from the fence. In other words, we were literally breathing down the player's necks as we watched them play. Everytime your child stepped up to the plate or caught they were privy to all the things you would normally say about them in a game. Oops!
On deck
As I watched Austin play I wisely held my tongue. Until he came to his first at bat. Many of you already know, but Austin is a ball magnet. He gets hit 2-3 times a tournament while at bat on top of the bruises he obtains while catching. (Austin is #4 above, as well as the catcher in the other two pics.) The Colts, the opposing team, know he likes to crowd the plate. So what do you do with a batter who crowds you? You brush him back with some chin music of course! The pitcher hurtled one at Austin's head. The ball sizzled as it flew. Thankfully, Austin dropped back and was okay.

I wasn't however.

Since I don't normally sit so close, I usually don't get an up close and personal view of my son's head being used as a target. I couldn't hold my tongue on this one and spontaneously ripped out, "Hey! That's my son's head that you're aiming at! I know he's a ball magnet, but...seriously?".

Austin was a dutiful son and ignored my comment, but I knew he heard what I had said. The other mom's around me chuckled because we knew that I was busted for saying anything. With the next pitch he crowded the plate once again and took a pitch off of his left shoulder. The ball smacked meatily. Austin dropped his bat and trotted to first base.

After it was all over I asked him if he had heard me. He smirked and said, "Mom...I was fine. I wasn't going to let him hit my head."

Yeah...whatever. I carried that head and the body it's attached to for 9 1/2 months. I washed it when it was dirty. Paid for it's upkeep through dental and Dr. visits. Helped it's brain grow through nutrition and schoolwork. Hugged it when it was crying. You could say I've become pretty attached to it over the years.

Therefore, I reserve the right to make a fool of myself in front of others. However, the next time we sit so close I better wear a muzzle. :)

Austin's team brushing back a batter. Touche'!


6 comments:

Heidi said...

You keep your cool a lot more than I would. Seriously.

Kristi said...

WHAT? Quiet Laurel yells? I never knew.

And secondly...all that mushy talk about Austin's head and how attached you are to it made me cry. :o)

VikingMom said...

Ha ha! Sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry.

Diane Davis said...

These are good pictures.

My mother used to PACE the sidelines of the tennis court. Tennis is a quiet sport and I'd often hear you sigh and say "Oh Diane" in a very nasty tone when I missed a shot. I recall once or twice stopping play and saying "mom, you have a choice. sit there with your mouth shut or leave." Yes, I was that disrespectful (but in my defense, she was taking my focus off my game!).

At least Austin didn't do that with you. ;)

I think next time that happens you should pick a fight with the pitchers mother. That is a fight I'd pay to see. heehee...

Dean Kuest said...

Austin walked quietly to first base? No attitude? No fits? No charging the mound?

What are they teaching kids these days?

Way to go cuz.

SingingShrink said...

My dad used to yell "WILD THING!!!!!" at all of my athletic events. I dutifully kept quiet, but I think I know how Austin feels. I always did think it was cool that my dad cared enough to come and make fools of both of us, though!