Thursday, July 17, 2008

Flashback

When I was 12 I would listen to my sister's Journey Frontiers album whenever I could. (Always on the sly of course). I remember sitting in our den with my headphones plugged into the record player. To make the sound even better I would crank it up loud and crush them against my head to feel the whole depth of the music. I would listen to the album over and over again praying that I wouldn't scratch the record. It's a wonder my sister never killed me!

Fast forward 25 years I finally got to see them in concert. It was well worth the wait. The split second they started into "Separate Ways" my heart was ripped back 25 years to that little girl in the chair. Closing my eyes I was there. Seriously it was a dream come true. Arnell Pineda, their new lead singer, ripped through the songs not only sounding like Steve Perry, but one upping him in overall performance. (Blasphemous, I know...Sorry Noelle!) It was hard to believe, that the Journey I knew and loved was there. Not the sad band that it had become in the last 10+ years. With Pineda their trademark sound is back as well as their style and energy.

They'll be at the Greek in September. Billy and I are thinking about taking the older kids with us. Not only for their continuing education in 80's music but so Billy can hear it in a different venue. He was dissapointed with the sound. (Of course, he's a sound man...you're only happy when you're mixing the show.) I, on the otherhand, was totally happy and enjoying my youth once again. I'm almost afraid to go back again because it may not feel the same. We'll just have to see.
--Laurel

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I glad you enjoyed it. The band got sad after they dumped Steve. I am happy that they have someone good enough not to disgrace the Journey name.