Thursday, August 28, 2008

Recording vs. Live


99% of the time that I am behind a soundboard it is for the purpose of mixing something live and in real time. I love the pressure of having to "get it right" the first time. There is an immediate sense of satisfaction that goes along with hitting all of the right cues and making something sound good during the course of our services.

From time to time I do get to record some projects. When I say record, I mean lay down some vocals or maybe some acoustic guitar tracks. Jeff, our student life worship leader is laying down some demo tracks as I write. Acoustic Guitar (AGT) Vocals (VOX) and right now I am listening to a sweet snare drum that he is playing while I record it. It is about the fifth time we have laid it down. Sometimes we have to do it again because my gain settings weren't right, or his rhythm was off, or he wanted to lay a safe version down. I even move the mic around until I get it to sound just like I want it to. I like not having the pressure of having to get it right the first time. There is a creative aspect to recording his demos that doesn't always happen when mixing live.

Here's to more demo projects, good vocals and better microphone technique.

Billy

1 comment:

SingingShrink said...

Hey there Billy. It's great to hear that even the pros (you, of course) need a few tracks to get it right. I'm hoping to start working on recording some of my songs and possibly a demo in the next year and I imagine it will take me forever to get things "just right". Of course, first I have to downgrade my VIsta to XP so I can find programs that will work with my laptop; then I have to actually buy and learn how to effectively use recording software. Craziness!!! Perhaps I'll seek some support/tips from the masta!