Friday, August 22, 2008

Hmmm...Is this Justification?


I've had a debate raging through my head for years. It was brought upon me by my mother and her family traditions. The debate? Pie. Not the debate over which flavor is best or whether it is an appropriate replacement for a cake, but whether or not it can be considered a breakfast food. Yes...you heard me right. Breakfast and dessert all rolled into one.

I suppose it started eons ago on a morning after Thanksgiving. My mom's Mom (otherwise known as my grandmother) probably let her eat pie for breakfast because she was too lazy to make a healthy one. Let's see: Fruit? Check. Pastry? Check. If the pie is pumpkin you get bonus protein points for the eggs and milk.

See where I'm confused? Okay...maybe not. I do know that it's bad for you, but when a freshly baked sweet smelling pie is just sitting there on the counter enticing you to partake of its goodness in the name of breakfast...it's really hard to resist. Justifications start rolling around in the brain mulling over the nutritional positives and discounting the bad.

Really, I thought I had this issue beat years ago...until this morning. I made a pie last night for dessert later today. The boys sensed it's presence the second it came out of the box and have been hounding me ever since. (A frozen pie at that...they must be desperate!) They've come forward together as a group named: CUBS (Combined United Brothers) petitioning that pie is a breakfast food and forever will be.

Let's see who wins: I have a feeling that it'll be the pie.

--Laurel

6 comments:

Sarah B. said...

jelly filled donut (fruit and pastry) = breakfast

THEREFORE

pie (fruit and pastry) = breakfast

Blair Farley said...

this should add some fuel to the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfn0q5K5eU

//blair

Noelle said...

I settled this debate in my mind many moons ago. Stop torturing yourself my dear sister, pie is most definitely a breakfast food. In moderation of course! :)

leililan said...

i think anything goes... my favorite breakfast food?? left over spaghetti... cold... mmmmm

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Peggy has practiced this tradition from the first week we were married. Of course, as a good husband, I did not allow her to feel alone in this tradition. Yummm!

Stacey said...

I've always considered pie a breakfast food. The Familia Accetta has pie for breakfast every Thanksgiving. It always tastes better when you're not stuffed from all that other "stuff".