Monday, February 2, 2009

Hmm...




Last week I received a text on my cell phone from a couple who's names I didn't recognize. We'll call them the "Smiths". The text said something along the lines of:

"The "Smiths" want to thank you for being our friends. We'll be thinking of you all while we head to New Zealand for 14 days. We'll see you when we get back. Until then XOXO Freida and George."

I laughed to myself because it was obviously a wrong number and didn't think about it. Yesterday I received another text that said:

"Hey...just wanted you to know we're watching the Super Bowl in NZ."

Hmmm...I thought to myself. Maybe I should text them back and know that they have the wrong number, that would be the courteous thing to do. Being lazy and determined not to lose my spot on the couch--I put it off until later.

This morning at work I was researching Huntington Beach lifeguard history for a project at church. (Mind you this is a project that I've been working on, off and on for the last couple of weeks.) Today I was trying to get more info on lifeguard names and typed "Huntington Beach lifeguard history" into Google and guess what pops up.

"George Smith".

When I saw the name I did a total double take. I couldn't believe my eyes. Hastily I fished my cellphone out of my purse and sure enough ...the names were an exact match. Now doubt about it. (The real spelling and combination of his name is distinctive.) I sat there trying to figure out what this all meant. Was this a cosmic message from God? Or just a seriously strange coincidence? So I did two things: first off, I texted the guy back and told him that he had the wrong number...but I hoped he was having a great time in New Zealand. Second, I went to Amazon and ordered his book.

What makes it even stranger is that I was researching lifeguard names for characters in skits that we're rewriting. I've been stuck on a couple of character's names...but a month ago I had already set the name "George" in stone because I thought it was perfect. Yes..a month ago--before the text messages and finding the book. Wow.

Seriously. I'm still tripping out on this one. Am I living in some strange Lost episode or is God just messing with my mind? Or is he just demonstrating once again that he notices even the small details and has it all under his control? I don't know. I have a feeling that I'll be trying to figure this puzzle out for a while.

--Laurel

4 comments:

Kristi said...

YOU ARE TOTALLY IN A LOST EPISODE. Weird stuff.

World of Wright said...

God is totally messing with you.
He's probably pointing and laughing at you right now.

SingingShrink said...

so, I Googled it too. Is it Kai or Bud Higgins? Kinda creepy when that stuff happens. I like "Bud" for the skit. Sounds like a cool name for a lifeguard. Of course, it also doubles for just about any male whose attention I need to get at the moment.

VikingMom said...

Robbie...it was Kai. I had picked it for one of the kid characters. I did however decide to use Higgins for a lifeguard's name yesterday after perusing the web. So, yes, It's a small world!