Monday, June 9, 2008

Growth at the Plate



Saturday was the last day of Aaron's Little League season. I was seriously surprised when he expressed sadness over the end of what seemed to be the neverending season of 2 hour long mind numbing games. (At this level of play everything moves in extreme slow motion.) There were times when I watched him in the outfield and marveled at the fact that he hadn't passed out in boredom. I was close to that just by watching! He also started out the season throwing the ball in a high rainbow like arc that would drop 10 feet short of its goal...therefore, his coach nicknamed him "Rainbow", a name that stuck till the end. (Personally, I never appreciated the nickname...but he didn't mind. I love innocence!)

By the the end of the season that rainbow-arc and lack of distance were things of the past. The kid developed the skills to flatten his throw and reach his goal. Batting was up and down, but he learned how to take a pitch and wait a pitcher out. More often an not this waiting led to him being hit by the pitch, but he learned to take it like a man. In fact his last game he took one off the wrist and chirpped out "I'm alright!" and ran down to first. Keep in mind this is the kid that has this incredible verge of death scream that comes out when he gets a paper cut. That alone was a massive improvement.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this: for all of it's pain, long suffering and extreme boredom, this Little League season helped my son grow emotionally more than ever keeping him home and comfortable would ever do. It was more important than getting hits or getting the out everytime. We're all proud of him.

--Laurel

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay Aaron! I'm glad all of you made it through the season. :)

Frances Williams said...

We have one game left (this saturday) in soccer. Can't Wait!

Congrats on much improvement! I can't get over how much older your kids look. Its so depressing!!!

Oh yeah, the morph picture freaked me out!!!

(:

Dean Kuest said...

LOL! You just have to love (or hate) baseball at that level of play, but awesome life lessons are learned - like how to take a beating and go to first anyway. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's a fun way to stay in touch.

Kristi said...

Oh YEAH for Aaron! That is awesome! I am proud of him too! I remember watching him one day at Stacey's practicing with Billy and he seemed like he hated it...sounds like he came a LONG way!!! How fun!