Monday, June 23, 2008

The Cement Bench


Behold the cement bench. The culmination of my frustration with the craziness that is the end of the school year. How did it get this dubious honor? Let me tell you...

As soon as May hit so did the end of the school year madness. Never mind the fact that school still had 6 weeks to go, the parties and end of the year celebrations rolled into full gear. I was influxed with masses of permission slips for field trips and reminders for parties. There were trips to Yosemite, Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland, the Beach, UCI, and bowling to name a few. Picnics, field days, bike days and surprise after school hours parties for creepy volunteers who spent their whole year in the classroom...devoted to knowing everything about you and your kid. (Okay, fine--not all volunteers, just the one in my son's room who knew me all to well for having met him only once. To top it off he volunteered to drive my kid to a birthday party. I firmly said "No." *Shiver* I digress.)

Not only did I sign for these trips, but I also paid for them. I also paid for teacher appreciation gifts and other assorted fees...to the tune of about $700. Public education? Free? I don't think so! Granted these were all great things and wonderful experiences for my kids--but my mid 30'ish brain fog struggles to remember anything so crazy from when I was a kid. We went on field trips...to historical sites. Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm weren't on the menu. Neither were the astronomical fees.

Which brings me to the bench.

I thought I had finally made it through to the end of the year with my reputation as a good parent intact and my child's image untarnished.

Until I read the paper that was crumpled up in the bottom of his backpack...found 4 days after the last day of school. It was a note asking for an "optional donation of $10, $15, $20 or more" to pay for a teacher's gift that had already been made and purchased.

The gift?

A CEMENT BENCH!

What the ????????

I was incredulous as I read it. I couldn't believe my eyes. Someone had the audacity to go out and purchase a cement bench to the tune of $220 and was now asking everyone to pitch in and pay for it. The letter talked about how we all new of the wonderful bench and the amazing volunteers who had been caring for it since it's purchase. (I'm not joking...it really did say that!) Honestly, this was the first time I had heard of the glorious gift's existence. The words dripped sweetly off the paper describing how the kids had tenderly and carefully made commemerative tiles that were grouted to it. (Gag!)

So now, I'm a deadbeat parent who doesn't chip on ridiculous teacher's gifts. My child is to be looked upon in pity. I, myself, am severely frustrated about how out of control this whole end of the year thing is getting. The emotional, physical and financial costs are getting more out of hand every year.

Next year, count me in for the standard field trips. I will dutifully attend all of the end of year parties and picnics that take place during school time. However, I will not be paying for any cement benches.

--Laurel

7 comments:

Diane Davis said...

what ever happened to an apple?

I'm sure the teacher appreciates a cold hard uncomfortable bench over a smaller amount on a gift certificate to Macy's.

Who thought of that as an appreciation gift?!?? I agree... lame.

Diane Davis said...

PS... If I recall correctly, I think you were raised in Oregon, right? Our field trips were to the strawberry patch or to the smelly dairy mart to learn how to milk a cow.

VikingMom said...

You are correct on Oregon. The highlight of my field trip "career" in elementary school was going to Fort Walla Walla to learn about the Whitman Massacre. That's a bit darker than a sunny, happy trip to D-land!

Stacey said...

Amen sister! I am so with you on this one. The end of the school year is a time of mixed emotions. On one hand I'm looking forward to the relaxing days of summer...a break from homework, projects, practices, frenzied morning departures, permission slips, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, the last 4 weeks of school is soooo busy and soooooo expensive. Its like running a marathon and the last day of school is the equivalent of crossing the hard-earned finish line. Only, this year Laurel it was a false finish wasn't it?! Ball camp, summer school, band camp? I long for the lazy days of summer!!!

Sarah B. said...

First of all I have to commend you, Laurel and Billy, I can barely make it through all this "stuff" with 2 kids and you have 4...you are wonderful parents! And I TOTALLY learned a lesson this yr. I had to be class mom for Ashley's class because NO ONE volunteered. It sort of upset me because half the class is stay at home mom's..oh well. So we went all out for her Christmas gift because it was also a wedding gift..she got married over the holidays. I just asked for as much as anyone wanted to give and got a little over $400..wow. So I was getting input on what people wanted to do for Teacher Appreciation week and several Mom's said that they know she liked massages....and 3 specific Moms said "This so and so spa has these great couples massages...it would be perfect, they would love it!" So I said ok...sent out the letter and started getting some money. I just went out and got it thinking people would wait until the last minute. This massage was $150 and I ended up with $62 from the parents. The rest out of my pocket. 2 of the 3 parents that suggested it totally forgot or just didn't want to give money. And than one of them had the nerve to ask what I got her for the last day of school gift (which was only 2 weeks after teacher appreciation week) and I said "A CARD AND THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH." I learned my lesson...I will never be class Mom again and in fact I may totally rebel and do my own thing and never chip in again...lol. Yes, still a little bitter by parent pressure.

Kristi said...

I don't understand this stuff either. Funny thing is, Curtis is always caught in the middle of it cause he drops Haley off the most. So he's always coming home telling me about what we owe to who for what?!?! It's so ridiculous. I love Haley's teacher to DEATH, but I don't really appreciate other moms telling me what I need to get her and HOW much I need to give......

Heidi said...

I know what you mean.... I had a tough time with this too.