Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reminiscing...

I miss Fall in Oregon!

Things I miss:

-The crunch of the grass under your feet as you walk to school after the first frost.
-Beautiful fall leaves and the smokey smell of them being burnt. (A country thing.)
-Football games where you were actually cold enough to bundle up for them. Cold enough that you could watch the frozen spider webs float eerily like ghosts over the field.
-Apple orchards and fresh cider.
-The anticipation of the coming winter...staring out my window every night at the streetlight willing my eyes to see the first flakes of snow.
-Occasionally trick-or-treating in that said snow. Or at least traipsing about town collecting candy with 2 layers of clothes underneath your costume to keep warm.
-The smell of freshly baked cookies. (It's way too hot to bake right now.)
-Ditto for the warm comforting soups and fresh bread.
-Using the wood stove for the first time of the season.

Yeah. I know I sound like I'm whining. I do love living here down in Socal by the beach. It has it's marvelous blessings...but every Fall I find myself pining for the change that the season brings. Trees are supposed to change colors and the weather is supposed to become brist. Oak Glen can substitute once in a while, as well as trips to Big Bear...but they're not the same.

So for those of you who still live there...enjoy a day for me!

--Laurel

5 comments:

Sarah B. said...

I agree 100% CA is just wonderful however I miss Missouri(Misery) at this time of year. And the smell of leaves...miss that. I remember the first time I had to burn our leaves....I didn't understand. "So you want me to intentionally start a fire in this ditch until all the leaves burn?" They need a candle called "Burning Leaves"...I would buy it.

Heidi said...

Well said... I miss seasons too. That was one thing I really loved about living in MN. Autumn was absolutely beautiful there.

Hopefully this hot weather will end soon!

Noelle said...

I will think warm cozy thoughts for you when I curl up on my couch with a hot cup of cocoa, candles burning and something warm and lovely in the oven.
Cruel aren't I.
You can rub it in when I get tired of the rain in the spring.

VikingMom said...

Yep..leave it to my big Sis to rub it in! I love you anyway--even if you have albino-esque qualities from the lack of sun. :)

Frances Williams said...

I totally feel for you!! I loved the hustle and bustle of SoCal, loved the beach, LOVED DISNEYLAND!!!!! And even though we live in the middle of nowhere now, we absolutely love fall. We've already enjoyed the pumpkin patch, apple orchard, fresh cider and apple donuts, chilly football games. Not trying to rub it in, sorry. I have to say we've had a out of season 79 yesterday and 75 today, and we were cherishing it because we know of the winter that is right around the corner. I will be the one whining about not being able to lay by the pool in January(-:

love you guys and can't wait to see you for leilani's wedding!!!!!